- Master core concepts by scanning this good basic glossary from Washington University.
- Most IT professionals identify as white. For a thoughtful and multi-dimensional unpacking of white discomfort with DEI topics, consider this essay by Robin DiAngelo. See also this classic article by jona olssen naming many typical defense mechanisms that maintain racism.
- DEI Book Recommendations
- The Harvard Implicit Bias site is one of the best ways to experience biases directly.
- Kimberlé Crenshaw explains intersectionality in a popular Ted Talk.
- Microaggressions explained by Jenée Desmond-Harris.
Understanding the Issues
Use of Language Resources
- ADL Guidelines for Achieving Bias-Free Communication
- American Philosophical Association Guidelines for Non-Sexist Use of Language
- Conscious Style Guide
- GLAAD Media Reference Guide, 10th Edition
- Inclusive Language in Technology Fields (also contains an explanation of terms)
- LGBTQ Do’s and Don’ts The Safe Zone project provides many resources related to inclusiveness for LGBTQ individuals.
- Linguistic Society of America Guidelines for Inclusive Language
- National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association Stylebook
Recruitment & Hiring Resources
- Bias Interrupters. Practical steps to improve equity in performance reviews and hiring (see Toolkits).
- Bias-free recruitment. Short essay covering concrete steps for reducing impact of bias in a hiring process. Also see Social Media checks in hiring – a pros and cons discussion from CUPA-HR – and this introduction to writing inclusive job postings (Forbes).
- Pay gaps. Short New York Times article on techniques for avoiding salary inequities.
- Diversity-in-hiring list. A list covering recruitment sites and networking/support organizations for underrepresented groups.